Gluten Free Simple & Fast Breadsticks (Click here for a printable version of this recipe.)
Recipe makes 8 12″ breadsticks (1″ wide)
1 teaspoon yeast
1/2 cup warm milk
3/4 teaspoon honey
1/4 cup shredded or flaked parmesan cheese
1/2 cup rice flour
1/3 cup tapioca starch
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons olive oil (plus 1/2 teaspoon for the baggie)
1 teaspoon apple cider or rice vinegar
- Heat milk until warm – not hot! Add agave and yeast and mix together. Set aside to proof while you mix the remaining ingredients.
- In the bowl of your mixer or a medium mixing bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients including the parmesan cheese. (Parmesan, rice, tapioca, cornstarch, xanthan gum, and salt).
- Stir these dry ingredients together. (NOTE: At this point, add herbs to enhance your breadstick flavor. You can add rosemary and thyme, sun-dried tomato pieces, garlic/onion, etc.)
- Add the oil and vinegar to the dry ingredients and mix again.
- Check the proofed yeast/milk mixture. If it has risen, add this to the dry and mix together.
- Mix on medium-high for 3-4 minutes.
- Drizzle 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil into a small baggie. Smooth the outside of the baggie around to spread the oil around inside. (This prevents the dough from sticking to the bag.)
- Scrap the dough into the baggie. Snip one of the corners slightly and squeeze the dough out the corner on to a greased cookie sheet. Squeeze your breadsticks into long lengths and leave 1 1/2 inches in between your breadsticks to allow a little room for rising.
- Set the breadsticks aside to rise for 15 minutes. (They may not rise that much – you can add more yeast (one more teaspoon) if you want them to rise higher the next time.)
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Once the oven is warm/the breadsticks have had 15 minutes to rise, lightly spritz the tops of the breadsticks with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 9 – 12 minutes or until golden. (I ended up at about 10 min)
Serve with your favorite salad or dipping sauce.